Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Need to version control entire root file system

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Need to version control entire root file system
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 15:35:20 -0400

>    Anyway, this kind of use does not really need distributed SCM so I
>    don't feel guilty saying use Subversion for it...

> Subversion isn't really what the OP is looking for either, since it
> also uses meta-data.  Infact, you cannot have a VCS without meta-data,
> so there is nothing out there that will fit the OPs description.

Actually SCMs such as Arch which only have a single meta-data directory are
pretty easy to adapt to his case: just keep the meta-data directory
elsewhere and move it back to its original place (or make a symlink, it'll
probably work just as well) temporarily whenever you need to run an
SCM command.

        Stefan