Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Need to version control entire root file system

From: John Evans
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Need to version control entire root file system
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 14:33:02 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007, Worley, Chris B wrote:

The base "image" is kept offline.  I want to version control changes to
every file and directory in that offline image.

Ascii files need explicit diffs, binary files can just be flagged as
changed.  I need to be able to view which files changed at any check-in
point, what files are different now from the last check-in, how the
ASCII files changed between any two versions, and roll-back the entire
image to any previous version.

Chris,
You do not need revision management software (such as Arch, CVS, Subversion, etc.) You need a configuration management suite. The one that I can recommend is cfengine. You can find it here:
http://www.cfengine.org/

As far as tagging which binary files have changed, you would probably be best served by using Tripwire to accomplish this goal. You can find it here:
http://www.tripwire.com/
http://www.tripwire.com/products/enterprise/ost/

Tripwire will also track changes to your configuration files, but I'm not sure it will provide diffs or not. You'll need to investigate that on your own.

--
John Evans
Administrator of kilnar.com