Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in exte

From: Diego Saravia
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in external files
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 21:22:50 -0300

> Could you please explain what this invitation entails?  I am failing
> to see how, when you distribute a driver that can only work with
> non-free firmware, you are encouraging the development of free
> firmware.

you are telling to the world: we have free code to load firmware, we
need  free firmware

>> was ok or was not ok to distribute gnash when it was almost
>> inoperative because its not complete developed?
>
> Distributing Gnash was always OK.  Encouraging the use of a format
> that was (and still is, to a great extent) proprietary, is not.

why develop gnash in that case? Its look as a contradiction

> And a kernel module that relies on non-free firmware is not the same
> like gnash, evolution-exchange or empathy/pidgin/etc.

why not?

gnash could use another kind of video?

in fact the driver could load free firmware if it exists.

free driver is better than gnash

--
Diego Saravia
address@hidden