[GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in external

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in external files
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 11:18:17 +0300

Diego Saravia wrote:
> how do you do what you say?
> ututo do it modifiing what the driver prints when it do not find the
> blob the alternatives under discussion are not what you are speaking
> about
> are:
>  a) distribute only the free drive
>  b) do not distribute it.

Is this discussion about what error messages should be print?

If the driver only works with non-free firmware, it is harmful to
distribute it.  If it works for some devices without the firmware then
it can be distributed, and made to print an error message in a
situation when non-free firmware is required.  What's so complex here?
This looks like a straightforward decision.

> free drivers do no do that? they load firmware to your hardware, if
> the firmware is free, I dont see the problem.

It is not free, that is the problem.

> I dont understand your answer

Let me try a different approach.  If Gnash required to load a blob
that Adobe "contributed" in order to do its work, it would not be OK
to distribute it.  Needless to say, it would not be OK to be a GNU
package.