Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Incoming distros page at libreplanet

From: Bryan Michael Baldwin
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Incoming distros page at libreplanet
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 22:13:00 +1300

On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 09:48 +0100, Graziano wrote:
> Rubén Rodríguez Pérez ha scritto:
> > I've created a new page at libreplanet listing the incoming free
> > distributions that I know. If you know of other projects or hackers
> > interested in creating a new free distro, add it to the page or tell it
> > here and I will add them.
> >
> > The page is: http://groups.fsf.org/wiki/Incoming_distros
> >
> > Also, I will contact with all this projects inviting them to join here.
> >

> Merging projects.
>
> GNU+Linux from Source Code  and Parabola (AKA gArch)  seem to take
> ArchLinux as a base.
>
> I think their developers could join efforts in a unique fully libre
> archlinux based distribution.
>

> rms-gnulinux takes slackware as a base.
> There is already one existing fully free software GNU/Linux distribution
> based on Slackware and it is Kongoni.
>

> I think we should really try to merge things instead of creating new
> ones with one/two developers each.
>

> I don't know if the developers of these distros are already subscribed here.
>
> If not I think we should contact them to ask if they are willing to
> contribute to existing similar projects instead of working on new ones.
>

> The fully free software GNU/Linux distros community is too small to be
> divided in too many different projects.
>

> We should try to consolidate when possible.
>

> My 2 cents.

Although the initial design for my system was taken from Archlinux
(which is also the distribution on which I'm developing GNU+Linux from
Source Code), its end aim is to interoperate with multiple
distribution's build systems, package management, init system, etc.

Phase one of development is to just getting it to a self-hosting state.
Future development will rely heavily the study of the designs of other
distributions (minus any non-free packages).

I'm perfectly happy sharing my work with other developers, and accepting
their work where it furthers my goals, but not at all interested in
merging GLFSC with other projects.

        Bryan