Re: [GNU-linux-libre] gnome-app-install

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] gnome-app-install
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 21:02:46 +0100

Karl Goetz schreef:
together a new version of app-install-data for the various
distributions would probably be some nice low-hanging fruit
interested contributors could work on.
gNewSense removes app-install-data-commercial, but leaves
{gnome-}app-install in place (After disabling
restricted/multiverse). Is there something else which needs to
happen?
Unfortunately, I think so.  I just ran gnome-app-install on a deltaH
box, and through there, I was able to find some of the other software
that's on the blacklist, like Ubufox and blobwars.  gnome-app-install
wasn't always able to install those packages, but I think to be on the
safe side we need to make sure they never show up to begin with.  And
I think the safest way to do that is to prepare a new app-install-data
package that doesn't include .desktop files for programs that
shouldn't be in an endorsed distribution.

This might be related to this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/app-install-data-commercial/+bug/410975

I'll have to put this on the 'to check'/'todo' list (I thought we'd
dealt with it, seems not).

Oops, I'd forgotten about that one. Brett is right: the cache only gets updated in app-install-data's (and app-install-data-commercial's) postinst.

While still rather ugly, I'd suggest a metapackage that gets updated
each time. g-a-i on its own is 2mb. A metapackage would be a few kb.

That leaves .desktop files for non-free applications on the system, but I don't think they're exposed in any other application than gnome-app-install (I believe there's a KDE counterpart too, but I forget what it's called and I think it works the same way). So a metapackage is good enough, I gues.