Re: [GNU-linux-libre] gnome-app-install

From: Brett Smith
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] gnome-app-install
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 16:28:02 -0500

On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 12:44 -0500, Brett Smith wrote:
> Unfortunately, I think so.  I just ran gnome-app-install on a deltaH
> box, and through there, I was able to find some of the other software
> that's on the blacklist, like Ubufox and blobwars.  gnome-app-install
> wasn't always able to install those packages, but I think to be on the
> safe side we need to make sure they never show up to begin with.  And I
> think the safest way to do that is to prepare a new app-install-data
> package that doesn't include .desktop files for programs that shouldn't
> be in an endorsed distribution.

I think I just had an epiphany and can explain this in a lot more detail
now.  :)

gnome-app-install puts its data in a dedicated database in /var/cache.
This cache is created by update-app-install.  That program
cross-references the .desktop files in app-install-data with what's
available in the system's package repositories to make the final list of
what shows up in gnome-app-install.

But note that update-app-install runs relatively rarely.  I haven't
completely confirmed this, but I suspect that on Debian-based systems,
it only runs from app-install-data's postinst script.  The end result of
this is that if the user installs gNewSense, and then later a package is
removed from the gNewSense repositories because it breaks our
guidelines, the package will still appear in gnome-app-install, until an
update to app-install-data is released, or update-app-install gets
invoked some other way.

There are lots of possible ways to solve this problem.  Right now, I
feel like the best solution would be to release a new app-install-data
package every time a package gets removed -- that goes as far as
possible toward making sure that a user doesn't see software they didn't
sign up for in gnome-app-install.  But I think there are lots of other
alternative solutions that would be fine too if that's too hard for some
reason.

--
Brett Smith
Licensing Compliance Engineer, Free Software Foundation

Support the FSF by becoming an Associate Member: http://fsf.org/jf