Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Status of google chrome and chromium

From: A.J. Venter
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Status of google chrome and chromium
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 06:37:17 +0200

>The "best" is something subjective.
Indeed, you point out another browser that has tabbed processes now -
chromium did it first though. Google has stated that their reason for
making chromium free software was because they
hoped their ideas would make it into other browsers as well. Sandboxed
plugins is a security feature, it basically means that plugins like
flash/gnash/java run in a sandbox'ed sealed off environment
with extremely limited access to the OS. Finally VM'd scripting means
javascript runs in a virtual machine (it's called V8). Most current
browsers just run scripts top-down, which was fine when
javascript was invented, but now we're writing applications in it. The
major point where chromium wins is rendering speed on interactive
sites - and the benchmarks exist, especially javascript heavy sites
are much, much faster - that's the VM technology at work.
Again, other browsers could integrate these features, but the point
is, as yet - they haven't.

> You may want to also check out Iron, a more privacy respecting version
> of Chromium. The project lists its differences from Chromium at
> http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_chrome_vs_iron.php. You
> can also find an overview of how to compile it for x86 and amd64 at
> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/iron/iron/PKGBUILD.

Thanks Ali,
That is a very useful link - and perhaps the one we should be recommending ?

--
A.J. Venter
Founder and lead developer, Kongoni GNU/Linux