Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: License for the mersene twister implementation

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: License for the mersene twister implementation
Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 17:12:01 +0200

Rubén Rodríguez Pérez schreef:
I've found that the file mt19937db.c included in the BerkeleyDB
package as distributed by Oracle, and written by you and Takuji
Nishimura, is licensed under the "Artistic license". This license is
listed as non-free by the Free Software Foundation[1], making the
package unsuitable for free GNU/Linux distributions [2].

I found similar files in blender, osiris and rpm. These files have a license notice for the Artistic License. Relicensing them to GPL is not a problem for blender and rpm (both GPL), but osiris has its own BSD-style license. I found that the majority of '*mt19937*' files in gNewSense's source packages is BSD-style licensed, but I haven't checked if those implementations are interchangeable with the Artistic licensed version.