Re: [GNU-linux-libre] 3D with free software

From: Henry Jensen
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] 3D with free software
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 20:18:09 +0200

Hello Quiliro,

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 16:52:28 -0500
Quiliro Ordóñez <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have checked http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/index_html/video . Do all the
> cards that do not say anything about not supporting 3D can use 3D with free
> softwre?

When a card is not mentioned you have to assume that it is NOT working.

However: The FSF hardware database is quite incomplete. There is some more data
at
http://libreplanet.org/wiki/GNUCHILE/Hardware. But even this list seems not to
be maintained regularly (I sent the maintainer an update 3 weeks ago but
nothing
happened yet).

As for nvidia cards I have to say, that 3D is working with nouveau and
Gallium3D with my
GeForce 8400 GS but has some problems with the (onboard) GeForce 7025 I use at
work.
So it's mostly try&error.

Older ATI cards should work with 3D. I once had an ATI with Radeon 9250 chip
that worked
flawless with free drivers.

With Intel graphics chips you should have have no problems (mostly).

Kind regards,

Henry