Re: [GNU-linux-libre] NONFSDG: Audacious plugins, Xchat

From: jaromil
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] NONFSDG: Audacious plugins, Xchat
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 10:10:44 +0200

re all,

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 10:24:07PM +0200, Sam Geeraerts wrote:
> Some new proposed additions for the non-FSDG list:
>
> * Audacious plugins: more specifically the PSF plugin. It contains
> code released under the MAME license [1].
> * Xchat: has one URL handler by default, to open URLs with the Opera
> browser. Only visible in context menu if Opera is installed, but
> always visible in the settings. Upstream bug report [2].

it would be unfortunate to eliminate software packages because of such
details, IMHO. but then if one of us proceeds patching the software,
how will that patch be integrated into the various gnu libre
distributions?

one solution i see is just provide a .patch for the upstream code and
leave distro developers and mantainers apply it every time they make a
new release: a minimal, short term solution.

a long term solution can be that of setting up and mantaining a
"buildbot" with public repositories for various distributions, hosting
liberated packages that we patch and make available for the
public. internally at dyne.org we have such a buildbot to test
upstream development of software: builds at every new commit and
reports failure on building on various platforms (via mail or irc),
ATM we have 32 and 64 bit debian, fedora, gentoo and ubuntu.

the second approach is an ambitious one for the gnu linux libre
project, is there someone willing to collaborate on it? obviously a
liberated package repository can also be managed by individual
distributions, but i'm sure that mantaining a single buildbot
server/farm (easily setup with cowbuilder) can relief a lot of
system administration hassles for many of us.

an ideal partner to host us could be the compile farm for GCC,
mantained by Laurent Guerby http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/CompileFarm

excusez-moi pour le rĂªves de grandeur :)

ciao

- --
jaromil, dyne.org developer, http://jaromil.dyne.org

GPG: B2D9 9376 BFB2 60B7 601F  5B62 F6D3 FBD9 C2B6 8E39