Re: [GNU-linux-libre] NONFSDG: Audacious plugins, Xchat

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] NONFSDG: Audacious plugins, Xchat
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 20:06:40 +0930

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 10:39:01 +0200
jaromil <address@hidden> wrote:

> hi Karl,
>
> > On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 10:10:44 +0200 jaromil <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > one solution i see is just provide a .patch for the upstream code
> > > and leave distro developers and mantainers apply it every time
> > > they make a new release: a minimal, short term solution.
>
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 08:36:35PM +0930, Karl Goetz wrote:
> > Not really. its /the/ solution if upstream doesn't want to accept
> > the patch.  One of the big problems with this is different distros
> > with different versions of applications trying to use the same
> > patches as code evolves.
>
> ACK. so i should include in the steps outlined the first one: propose
> the patch to upstream.
>
> is there a page resuming a short "what to do" when trying to liberate
> software packages?

No, but I think there should be one :) (on libreplanet ?).

> > > upstream development of software: builds at every new commit and
> > > reports failure on building on various platforms (via mail or
> > > irc), ATM we have 32 and 64 bit debian, fedora, gentoo and ubuntu.
> >
> > I've thought about such things for various projects im involved in,
> > but maintaining it and debugging requires much time/effort/skill
> > then i have to hand.
>
> of course this is a task for sysadmins with time at hand.  and we know

Not just sysadmins, thats the problem. it requires developer input
every time a package build fails. (otherwise, what was the point of the
build?)

> some. one of such buildbots is mantained by us, but it's on a donated
> virtual machine running Xen and the donor cannot support us longer.

This will be the problem - I have amd64/xeon hardware, but i can't host
it. I imagine most hackers are like this (can provide part of the
stuff, but not all of it)

> it's not difficult to setup, if resources are available.  else we have
> to proceed raising our dependance from costly infrastructure and go
> hire our own hosting. but you see what i'm saying is that at dyne we

FSF-{us,eu,india,etc,etc} for hosting perhaps? Or some other entity
that would like to be associated with the cause?

> do have the time/effort/skill for setting up such things, just lacking
> infrastructure for it, so we could share both.

We have lemotes mipsel boxes, but i'm not running a server farm in my
bedroom anymore - been there, done that ;)

> > > an ideal partner to host us could be the compile farm for GCC,
> > > mantained by Laurent Guerby http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/CompileFarm
> > >
> > > excusez-moi pour le rĂªves de grandeur :)
> >
> > um...? :)
>
> means "excuse me for the dreams of greatness" :) since this idea of a

Ah, i see.

> buildbot its kind of one one could see it as a "launchpad" for
> linux-libre..  ..without having to sign silly contracts and be called
> "ubuntero" :) and most importantly based on more distributions, not
> just ubuntu, but all those platforms adopted by libre distros here.

I like the vision, I just don't feel i'll be able to contribute as much
as i'd like.
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)