Re: [GNU-linux-libre] ufoai has noncommercial requirements

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] ufoai has noncommercial requirements
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 19:04:22 +0200

Leo wrote:
I believe that ufoai is in contrib in Debian.

It didn't make it into Debian [1].

Arch wrongly marks ufoai-data as GPL (in Parabola it's getting blacklisted right now).
If it could be included in the blacklist in Libre Planet that would be good.

Fine by me. I happily leave the work to those who are bothered/affected by it. :)

I'll try to contact the team behind ufoai about this and ask them if they can replace the nonfree files (they really aren't many (8 sound effects) and to clarify the licence on the rest of the files (about 12 of them lack a license). If someone wants to contact them, though, it would be good, since I don't have a lot of free time. They seem to be aware of this problem judging from [3], so they should be advised about this by a licence guru.

Pointing at the DFSG should make it pretty obvious to them that non-commercial is not compatible with Debian main. FSDG is very clear that it's not compatible with free distros.