Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Request for Endorsement for ConnochaetOS

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Request for Endorsement for ConnochaetOS
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 08:11:11 -0700 (PDT)

Quiliro Ordóñez wrote
> The point is: If you seek FSFs endorsement for ConnochaetOS, I would
> think that you agree with their philisophy and not with OSI's

Er; is't actually:

  <http://opensource.org>

Exactly! :)

> For example, if I tell someone who is unfamiliar with free software
> "With open source software you have the freedom to use and to modify
> the software, and  additionally to redistribute the software and your
> modifications. That's why I recommend to use it"

But do you explain why that's important? From the OSI website: "The promise of
open source is better quality, higher reliability, more flexibility, lower
cost, and an end to predatory vendor lock-in."

I know several people with this mindset. Their view is that software should
succeed on techical merits alone. They use the term "open source" and mean it
(i.e., not to be confused with those who say "open source" because they just
don't know any better.) At no point do they discuss the
social/ethical/political issues surrounding technology.

That's the key difference between free software and open source, I think.
Although there seems to be a general consensus about the freedoms that people
should have (run, study, modify and distribute the software), and the same
programs can qualify as both "open source" and "free software" at the same
time, the difference is that open source focuses on the technical reasons for
why those freedoms are important (as stated on the Open Source website) while
the free softwarement movement says that these freedoms are important on basic
ethical grounds. Whether it's also technically better isn't really the issue.
I'm reminded of this brief segment from RMS's talk at LibrePlanet 2010:

http://aws.bluehome.net/better.oga

I'm also reminded of this quote:

There is a true political issue in the choice between the terms "free
software" and "open source", and the respective ideas associated with
each.  Developers have a right to their political views, and we won't
judge the ethics of a distro by the political opinions that come with
it.  However, when we decide how much to promote a distro, we will
certainly do this more if it supports our cause.

Source: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FreeSoftwareAnalysis/FSF