Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Request for Endorsement for ConnochaetOS

From: Henry Jensen
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Request for Endorsement for ConnochaetOS
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 16:48:13 +0200

Hi Quiliro,

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 07:57:10 -0500
Quiliro Ordóñez <address@hidden> wrote:

>I don't see where the problem is to erradicate
>things that do bad such as hunger, infant death and user subjugating
>software.

The problem is the attitude. I can propagate my message in a positive
style ("Use free software to be in control of your computer") or in a
negative style ("Don't use proprietary software, it subjugates you and
should be eradicated"). With the former message I tell, that free
software is good for users and as such has a positive message. The
latter one is negative argument which has often a paradoxical and
defensively effect, which can even lead to the result, that some people
think that I am a lunatic. Simple marketing psychology.

> The point is: If you seek FSFs endorsement for ConnochaetOS, I would
> think that you agree with their philisophy and not with OSI's
> <http://osi.org>

I didn't mention OSI anywhere. Of course I support the free software
philosophy. But I don't think it would be good to exclude open source
activists or people who use the term "open source" instead of "free
software". There is no sharp boundary between those camps anyway.

>Freedom takes sacrifice.

George W. Bush, 2005, about the war in Iraq

Regards,

Henry