Re: [GNU-linux-libre] potential issue with packages embedding waf

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] potential issue with packages embedding waf
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 15:29:48 +1100

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 22:02:31 +0100
Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> wrote:

> Karl Goetz wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I was hoping to get some input from this list on whether we should
> > be dropping packages containing the 'waf' build system. Its come up
> > for discussion in Debian as it appears to be a DFSG violation[1]
> > (not our problem), but might also constitute a GPL violation [2].
>
> It's a technicality, but I agree that distributing a GPL program that
> includes the waf blob without unpacked source is probably a
> violation. Luckily it seems easy to fix [1].

Ian seems to disagree this is source, and i tend to agree with him [1].
Its not the preferred form of modification as its built from the git
repo and has all comments (and other?) stripped.

[1]
http://lists.debian.org/address@hidden

> > Its worth noting not all packages shipping waf are automatically
> > problematic (its suggested samba ships the full waf source embedded
> > [3])
>
> I did a quick search in the samba 3.5.6 package, but couldn't find
> anyting about waf.

I haven't double checked (yet).

> > I'm not sure the best way to get a current list of packages
> > embedding waf. An expensive way would be to extract all packages
> > and search for it - i can do it , but rather only if needed.
>
> Can we trust Debian to have done their homework well [2]?

Its a filename based list.

http://lists.debian.org/address@hidden

thanks,
kk