Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Video guides for installing free distros

From: Zak Rogoff
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Video guides for installing free distros
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 15:59:41 -0500

On 02/11/2014 02:14 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:
> This seems like a good suggestion so I am passing it along.
> Please don't use Youtube to post the results.

> Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 11:39:01 +0000
> Subject: Better gnu's installs
> From: zhrO zh <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
>

> [1:text/plain Hide]
>
> Drº Stallman
>
> Just for a better GNU
>
> a suggestion...
>
> Video install/s of gnu software like gnu os'es, librewrt and others to
> complement documentation, so a somewhat video documentation install.
>
> Why? Most developers make long documentation and for a novice configuring
> might get tricky so its plain simpler to watch and see how an experienced
> user installs the "gnu things".
>
> A clean quick geeky video for each software install could be made by a
> developer, a experienced user or a gnu community member on each release to
> demonstrate how to do it, sometimes a experienced user/s have even better
> ways of setup something people didn't notice by default.
>
> This is a thing that lacks on almost all software organizations and
> software people, for example on a gentoo, freebsd, unix and many others its
> plain simpler to watch first in video how to install properly and then
> documentation, i don't know how documentation is done too but nowdays
> probably is faster talking and software writing the text documentation to
> quickly finish it..
>
> Now i will get back to reading one thousand hours to try out librewrt and
> screw the first 1000 installs on testing, cant find a librewrt install
> video.
>
> Regards
>
> P.S- http://www.gnu.org/help/gnu-bucks.html lolol lovely
>
> [2:text/html Show]

I think this is a really great idea -- it would be incredibly useful for
the campaigns team, because we currently need to recommend that
inexperience people get help if they want to install an endorsed
distribution.

One concern with the video format: in installation guides for a distro,
isn't it important to be able to address conditions? For example, "if
you have this motherboard, you need to do these steps, otherwise, do
these steps." It's a little harder to do that with video than text. That
doesn't mean it's impossible, but it's something that whoever is
creating the video will have to think about.

Perhaps the best feasible way to do it is to create a video that shows
installation on one system, and then have text notes about how to modify
various steps under different conditions.