Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Endorsed distro review for LibreCMC

From: Michał Masłowski
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Endorsed distro review for LibreCMC
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 16:52:12 +0200

I believe the u-boot source downloaded by LibreCMC (and LibreWRT)
contains sourceless firmware blobs that we should remove.  They are not
used by any supported device.

At least these paths inside u-boot-2013.10 might contain nonfree code:

- arch/powerpc/cpu/mpc8xx/upatch.c: contains microcode patches
- various files with "fpgadata" in the names: hexadecimal arrays of code
  uploaded to FPGAs
- board/netta/dsp.c: bootstrap_rbin
- drivers/dma/MCD_tasks.c: "task code and structures", the code is
  hexadecimal

It should be easy to adapt Linux-libre's scripts to remove them.