Re: [GNU-linux-libre] MAME

From: Felipe Sanches
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] MAME
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 13:14:46 -0300

One interesting aspect of MAME is that the source code itself is key
to its mission. Even if you do not run the code, it is already
fulfilling its goals, which can be described as a "hardware museum in
the shape of technical specifications".

Such museum (without any ROM file) is now fully free, regardless of
what you might attempt to do with it at runtime after compiling it.
The source code is the most important portion of the MAME project,
because it is though the source code that the goal of "preserving the
history of gaming and computing hardware" is achieved. The runtime
binaries tend to be seen as a mere collateral effect of the hardware
documentation efforts (also providing evidence that the hw
documentation is probably accurate).