Re: [GNU-linux-libre] MAME

From: J.B. Nicholson
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] MAME
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 23:59:10 -0500

I think I've identified a difference between Gnash and MAME/MESS pertinent to this thread -- a requirement of nonfree code:

MAME requires nonfree code (game ROMs) to run the game. As far as I know all MAME ROMs are nonfree.

MESS emulates many computer systems and (of the code I've seen so far) each emulator loads nonfree system ROMs in addition to running whatever program the user wants emulated under MESS. Therefore, for example, if the user wants to run a free program on an emulated Apple IIgs, MESS will load ROM files as well (read the ROM_LOAD() calls in src/mame/driver/apple2gs.cpp to see the names, CRCs, and SHA1 hashes of these files). I'm presuming that these ROM files are all nonfree as I am not able to find source code for any of them.

Gnash can be run completely in freedom: Gnash requires no nonfree code to play a free Flash program. As far as I know, Gnash has no nonfree dependencies (despite being useful to play nonfree Flash programs).