Re: [GNU-linux-libre] MAME emulator is giving incentive to use non-free

From: rain1
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] MAME emulator is giving incentive to use non-free software
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2016 14:09:26 +0100

On 2016-04-04 12:19, Felipe Sanches wrote:
On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 12:26 AM, alírio eyng <address@hidden> wrote:
Felipe Sanches:
I will try not to talk here any more, unless I
have something really new to say.
i will probably continue replying while people are quoting me and
making proposals or confusing general-purpose runtime dependencies
with tools for reverse engineering without understanding the
consequences.

MAME provides an interactive debugger that enables reverse engineering
of the loaded ROMs.

http://letshackarcadegames.com/?p=338

http://letshackarcadegames.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/dkong_watchpoint_barrel.png

Thank you Felipe for sharing all the information about MAME in terms of hardware reverse engineering!

I just wanted to add one more thing: The MAME team has done a wonderful thing for software freedom by relicensing to GPL. This will help the idea of software freedom reach many many more people than it did before.

We should be applauding them and thanking them. It seems sad to me that the main focus of the debate is people arguing that MAME is not free enough (despite satisfying the four freedoms).

I am not saying the discussion is not important but it is overshadowing the fantastic contribution MAME has kindly made to the community.