Re: [GNU-linux-libre] MAME emulator is giving incentive to use non-free

From: Joshua Gay
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] MAME emulator is giving incentive to use non-free software
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 07:09:09 -0400

On 04/04/2016 06:20 PM, J.B. Nicholson wrote:
> Joshua Gay from the FSF posted
> https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gnu-linux-libre/2016-03/msg00039.html
> which said that a renamed MAME fork should be fine to distribute (to
> avoid an unrelated trademark issue with MAME) and suggested not linking
> to the MAME site to avoid nonfree software inducement.

To be clear, I never said that a renamed MAME fork should be fine to
distribute. I did issue warnings and consideratons for those considering
packaging and distributing MAME, which included forking the project. If
a person does go ahead and package a custom version of MAME, whether or
not that package can be included in a free distro and still conform to
the free distro guidelines remains to be seen.

My email was not a conclusion or some final word on the matter and it
should not be treated as such. My email was a contribution to an ongoing
conversation about this topic.

--
Joshua Gay
Licensing & Compliance Manager  <http://www.fsf.org/licensing>