Re: [GNU-linux-libre] How to "learn" Hurd

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] How to "learn" Hurd
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 21:57:20 +0300

Hello Felix,

That is great. Linux from scratch is a good start to create a GNU from
scratch. I do think there is much to learn on that one. And I am
running here the GNU operating system, and I guess I could make it for
GNU Hurd as well (if I find time and spare laptop). Doing it "by
hand", without package managers, is actually sparing me time and
efforts. When I need to put system on other computer, I simply push it
by rsync, each one get updated. If I wish to install new system, I
simply copy and set few files and GNU Grub for boot. There is no
lengthy procedure and also for me, no need for Internet when
installing on a new computer.

In fact, GNU project shall have "GNU from scratch" equivalent,
teaching people how to install both GNU Hurd and Linux libre kernels.

Jean