Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs

From: Rui Miguel Seabra
Subject: Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 19:44:47 +0100

On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 17:06 +0000, Christopher C. Stacy wrote:

>  Martin> cstacy@news.dtpq.com (Christopher C. Stacy) writes:
>  >> Eben's other assertion is that the GPL is a license contract
>
>  Martin> Such an assertion would be in direct contrast to various of his
>  Martin> writings, e.g. <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/enforcing-gpl.html>.
>  Martin> Can you please provide a reference where he said that the GPL is
>  Martin> a contract?
>
> A key point in Moglen's arguments, presented in the affidavit that he
> submitted in the PROGRESS case that I cited, is the intent of the license.
> We are speaking of "enforcing" an "agreement".

That is a fundamental minsunderstanding of the GNU GPL.
There is no agreement to be enforced.

The GNU GPL is 100% uni-directional.
You have permission to do certain things in a certain way, or you do
not. You simply aren't allowed to do it.

There's no "I Agree" button.

You don't have to agree with those conditions, because there are no
restrictions on the puropose of running the software.

However, to distribute you have to do it in the specified conditions...
or you can't by default of copyright law.

Rui