Re: Intellectual Property II

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra
Subject: Re: Intellectual Property II
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 14:58:27 +0000

On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 14:19 +0100, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> [...]
> > Copyright is a monopoly over the distribution of a work
>
> All property rights imply some form of ownership ("monopoly" in GNU
> speak) on enjoyment and exploitation of property.

But copyright isn't a form of ownership (property), but a government
granted temporary monopoly.

>  But distribution
> right is severely limited by first sale

We're talking about distributing copies of a copy, sorry for
misdirecting you with my abuse of language.

>  (which is nonexistent in the
> GNU Republic).

Wrong, first sale, fair use and all are not covered by the GNU GPL but
by copyright law. The GNU GPL doesn't affect this rights of the user.

Rui