Re: Open source - Free software

From: Al Klein
Subject: Re: Open source - Free software
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 08:55:50 -0400

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 05:51:06 +0200, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:

>Al Klein <rukbat@pern.invalid> writes:
>
>> And, in the English-speaking world, "free" is almost always (let's
>> say by millions to one, at least) used, when used with a product, to
>> mean "with no charge".  *VERY FEW* people use free as in freedom
>> when using it to modify the name of a product or product type.
>
>When we are talking about the sort of medium in which expressions are
>subject to copyright?

No, when we're using the term free software or the word freeware.

>Free speech, free press, free software, patent free, free arts?

Free gas, free milk, free beer?  The press, patents and the arts
aren't items that get sold - software, gas, milk and beer are.

Think of the children's learning game, "which of these doesn't
belong?"  Software doesn't belong with the press, patents and the
arts.
--
It's back - http://www.webdingers.com/filelist.html