Re: Groklaw attacks Alexander -- Again

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Groklaw attacks Alexander -- Again
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 15:30:07 +0000 (UTC)

In gnu.misc.discuss Rjack <user@example.net> wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>> Rjack <user@example.net> wrote:

>>> Respectability.

>> Ah.  What?  Respectability?  Will that help me fix bugs, or
>> implement new features?

> You're even more respectable when you refrain from promoting PJ's
> nut-job propaganda campaign on Groklaw by back-stabbing other people
> for her.

> Your attempt to character assassinate Alexander for PJ is about as
> low as it gets.

It could have got much lower, believe me.  Everything I wrote on that
Groklaw contribution was true, to the best of my belief, and I had the
decency to put my name to it.  I could have made the contribution
anonymously, and I could have included malicious falsehoods in it.

Thus far, nobody has challenged the essence of the assertions I made,
neither on Groklaw nor here.  In particular, Alex himself hasn't.  Had
anybody pointed out I was mistaken, I would have done my best to issue a
correction.

Just because something is a personal attack doesn't mean it's wrong or
uncalled for.  Sometimes it's necessary.  In this case, I wished to
prevent an inaccurate image of Alex T. becoming established in Groklaw's
readership.

> You are always cajoling people to identify themselves.  Why the fuck
> would anyone ever tell you anything personal about themselves, knowing
> full well what you're capable of?

Lots of decent people let me know who they are, and I treat them with
decency just as I expect the same from them.  I hope you feel I've
treated you decently, despite my strongly disliking what you do.
Hijacking a mailing list and misusing it to disparage the enterprising
and honest people who set it up and to spread disinformation about their
projects are not decent things to do.  People who display a lack of
decency are liable to get called on it by me.  It doesn't happen at all
often.

> In an attempt to censor me, PJ once e-mailed another blog editor
> behind my back, implying that I was impersonating an attorney.

Ah yes, you who wouldn't admit to being a lawyer.  Accepting, for the
purposes of argument, that PJ actually did this, were you in fact
impersonating an attorney?  If so, then that alleged email would be
fully justified.  How was this an attempt to censor?

Anyhow, why should PJ spend time and effort trying to censor just you?
It's not as though there's any shortage of things to do on the Groklaw
website.

> That's how I learned what a slime-bag she could be. It would be funny
> if it were not so pathetic.

Now that is an instance of slimy character assassination: the making of
allegations on a public forum involving an unidentified "blog editor" by
somebody who himself remains anonymous, without any attempt to cite any
evidence, and on a forum where the target is unlikely to see it.  Just
throw unsubstantiated muck at somebody and some of it might stick.

Might you, just perhaps, regret making that allegation?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).