Re: a list of software compiled by completely free toolchain

From: linux
Subject: Re: a list of software compiled by completely free toolchain
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 11:23:43 +0100

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 05:10:37AM -0500, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> Python can be compiled by a 100% free software toolchain on GNU
> variants like GNU/Linux; on top of that Python runs and compile on
> 100% free systems lke gNewSense (http://gnewsense.org).  So I do not
> understand the question.

The point is that in order for people using windows to come over to
use Linux it is necessary to provide this software on Windows as well,
making the transition easier. Now this software should be able to be
compiled using a 100% free software toolchain like MinGW, which
however is in the case of python not possible without problems; and
there are numerous other examples where "free" software relies on
Microsoft Visual C being compiled. That is what I am complaining
about. Nothing against Python, I use it regularly on Linux. I only had
the idea of compiling a list of software where this easy transition is
possible and the software can be compiled using GCC/MinGW.

Greetings, Gabriel