Re: Is Wikipedia censorship or...

From: mike3
Subject: Re: Is Wikipedia censorship or...
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 13:48:47 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 26, 8:42 pm, AzzMazta <penac...@yomomma.hot.invalid> wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 11:50:01 -0800 (PST), mike3 wrote:
>
> > So what's the main argument in the post? Sounds more like just stating
> > opinions about Wikipedia contributors than an "argument".
>
> Wikipedia is frequently criticized for censorship - this is often discussed
> in these newsgroups. I agree that censorship occurs on Wikipedia, having
> dealt with it myself in the past (no, not because of malware spam).
>
> I suggested that maybe the user base consists primarily of bullied
> students.
>
> I should have mentioned, it seems that the articles which are blocked from
> public editing are always topics which would appeal to/be targets for
> [junior]high-schoolers, like "Zac Efron", "Emo", "Jonas Brothers", "Michael
> Jackson", "Ass", "Fuck", "Penis", "Gay", "Tits", "Family Guy", "Rugrats",
> and "Spongebob"

Well there's also a lot more that are less crude, too, such as
"Dinosaur",
"Genetic engineering", "Italy" (!), "Jew" (go figure), "Jesus",
"Christianity", "Atheism", "Middle East", "Iran", and "Moon" (!!). In
general,
most blocked articles are usually "hot" and "controversial" topics and/
or
ones where people hold strong views (e.g. Jew, Middle East, Iran, the
religious articles, etc. Moon? That's an odd one.) with strong
emotions
behind them. Such is not limited to high school kids subjected to the
evil of
bullying. Though it is possible such high school kids may be the
reason for
blocking of the "crude" articles you mention. But not all of them, as
many
more are blocked that are not crude stuff at all.

For a full list of blocked articles:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:WhatLinksHere/Template:Pp-protected

I'm curious as to some of the examples of the WP censorship you are
referring to. How would you know it was high school kids and not
possibly
others (there are others that could take "advantage" of censoring WP
too)?