NYC LOCAL: Tuesday 16 February 2010 Hack Fests: Perl Seminar and NYLUG S

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Tuesday 16 February 2010 Hack Fests: Perl Seminar and NYLUG Squeak
Date: 16 Feb 2010 02:04:18 -0500

<blockquotes
  what="official announcements from Perl Seminar New York City
        and NYLUG"
  announcements-separator="***** ... *****"
  reminder="regular monthly meeting of NYLUG
            on Wednesday 17 February 2010,
            Luke Kanies on the Future of Puppet"
  edits="">

 To: ny@lists.pm.org
 From: James E Keenan <jkeen@verizon.net>
 Subject: Perl Seminar Tuesday Feb 16:  bring your laptops for workshop session
 Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 08:07:48 -0500

 Perl Seminar New York
 Tuesday, February 16, 2010
 6:15-8:15 pm
 NYPC User Group
 481 8 Ave, Suite 550
 (between West 34 & 35 Sts, Manhattan)

 We'll have one of our "workshop" or "lab programming"
 sessions.  BRING YOUR LAPTOPS!

 Topic:  'minicpan' and 'visitcpan':  We will be hacking on these
 tools originally created by Randal Schwartz and David Golden to add
 new functionality.

 Full details of what we'll be doing are here:  http://
 tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/perlsemny/message/948
 Also check out that site (or join the perlsemny group for mail) on
 additions to the agenda.

 Preparation:

 To get the most out of this workshop session, you need to prepare
 your laptop.  You will need:

 1.  A laptop with wireless Internet access.

 2.  On that laptop -- or on a server to which you can connect from
 your laptop -- you should have already installed:
 a. CPAN::Mini (see above)
 b. App::CPAN::Mini::Visit (see above)
 c. A 'git' client

 3.  If possible, and if you have the space on your laptop or server,
 install a 'minicpan' following the instructions in CPAN::Mini.
 Note:  The original installation of a minicpan takes several hours.
 You probably should set it up and let it run overnight.  Subsequent
 refreshes run very fast.  But try to do the original minicpan install
 at least a day before next Tuesday.

 What You Will Gain from this Workshop

 1.  A 'minicpan' repository on disc.
 2.  Familiarity with useful tool 'visitcpan'.
 3.  A peek inside the minds of Randal, Ricardo and David.
 4.  Better appreciation of the joys of face-to-face hacking (F2FH).
 5.  Greater fluency with use of 'git' in collaborative software
 development.

 If you can't bring a laptop to this meeting, please come anyway so
 that you can contribute to a team's work.

 Thank you very much.
 Jim Keenan