Re: Psystar's legal reply brief in response to Apple

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Psystar's legal reply brief in response to Apple
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:58:01 -0000

> ZnU wrote:
> [...]
>> OK, I understand your argument. But I'm not sure I buy it. Are you
>> saying if I sign a contract with someone that says I can make as many
>> copies of their software as I want for $5 each, and then go and make a
>> bunch of copies and don't pay for them, I have merely breached a
>> contract and not committed copyright violation?
>
> Yep.

Quite so.  The same would hold if you signed a contract where you agree
to keep the conditions of the GPL in using and redistributing software.

If, however, no act of yours supports the contention that you ever
intended any contractual relationship governed by the conditions of the
GPL, you certainly might be accused of copyright violation.  You might
want to claim wanting to make use of the GPL in discovery, but you
better submit evidence in support of that.

--
David Kastrup