Re: [upcoming] The European Court of Justice on 'Software' First Sale

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: [upcoming] The European Court of Justice on 'Software' First Sale
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 12:01:22 +0200

Ivan Shmakov wrote:
[...]
>  > The GPL purports to restrict the statutory right (17 USC 109)
>
>         It isn't quite the jurisdiction I'm currently under, BTW.

Are you under Russian jurisdiction by chance?

If so be advised that the GPL doesn't fulfil Russian requirements for IP
licenses in general...

(so it is treated as a gift enforceable against the licensor not the
licensee)

And as for "first sale" in Russia see

http://grazhdanskiy-kodeks-rf.com/statya-1272-rasprostranenie-originala-ili-ekzemplyarov-opublikovannogo-proizvedeniya/