Re: Turning GNU into a bottom-up organization

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Turning GNU into a bottom-up organization
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 18:47:58 +0530

* František Kučera <konference@frantovo.cz> [2019-10-22 04:44]:
> So if this is to have a chance of success, there must be a rigid
> (immutable) constitution which guarantees the principles in the long
> term. (Sure, immutability has its pitfalls, but if the principles are to
> change, it is necessary to come up with a new name – the words like free
> software, FSF or GNU must not be reused for a different purpose).

I think that sole existence of freely distributable and freely
publishable free software philosophy is the best way for GNU to exist
in time.

GNU Project is planetary.

Free Software Philosophy is planetary.

Constitutions are local. Even GNU GPL licenses are pretty much
affected by local laws.

Constitutions imply there must be some enforcement, coercion,
consequences and so on.

Free Software Philosophy does not ask you to sign any contract. It
implies liberty to read, understand and decide to ignore it, to fight
against it, or to support it. Or pretend to support it. But there is
no coercion, consequences and enforcement. And it is globally
acceptable, for as long as it can be translated.

People accept it because they find it good. Because of they get
convinced it is right thing to do, join, participate and promote.

In that sense it has much better survival chances than by having any
kind of constitution or becoming again "organization" within limits
and boundaries of a local laws, such as one State within United States
or one country or government.

--
Thanks,
Jean Louis