Re: Women and GNU and RMS (was Re: something else)

From: Alexandre François Garreau
Subject: Re: Women and GNU and RMS (was Re: something else)
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 05:25:52 +0100

Hi, I like discussion.  This so because I like language.  And therefore,
meaning.

Le lundi 4 novembre 2019, 04:32:04 CET Ruben Safir a écrit :
> Nobody believes this except for a few hysterical lunitics.

I think you’re wrong about lunatism.  I think though mob attacks can seem
really lunatic, they’re made by disinformed persons that tend to keep a sort
of consistence within the few, probably unsufficient, knowledge they have about
the situations they get in.

But now about “hysterical”, which has been hinted several times by several
people (at least 3, maybe including me, I forgot) as a sexist insult.  You’ve
been noted that was biologically impossible, and said you didn’t care.

Then, what’s you’re interpretation of it? is it just a random meaningless
insult like “asshole”, just for people you don’t like? or is it more specific?
for instance “crazy”? as it is used often for (after all, it comes from
psychology (though from a part of it widely acknowledged as a pseudoscience).

May I propose a popular definition?  I find this term often used to describe
women, but not only, being considered “too angry” (as the standard for
acceptable feminine angriness generally meet a lower threshold, I guess), up
to becoming irrational and uncontrolable (I take that from the third
wiktionary definition, that talks about “uncontrolable laugh”).  I often saw
people talking about “being hysteric” (including from women, including about
men) when someone is excessively shouting, especially when in a very acute
manner (that might arise when the person is beyond per limits, and shout the
loudest).  It seems really linked to voice, to me.  Yet that definition being
popular, usually not well connected to the sexist origin (sometimes people
aren’t even aware of), and not necessarily about women, it seems to, for
evidence reasons of voice biological characteristics, more be prone to target
women, based on this definition (loud acute voice).

Now, what’s your definition? why do you qualify Sandra as such?  She seems
disgusted, maybe irrational (but you’re emotional too, here), but on the
internet, she can’t shout…  So what makes you say that? you only excessively
dislike/hate people being against rms? or you think she’s crazy / so much
irrational that deserve insults? so you think being crazy or irationnal make
you deserve insult? or do you believe there’s a situation where a person could
receive such insults calmly and agree?