Re: GNU Social Contract version 1.0

From: Daniel Pocock
Subject: Re: GNU Social Contract version 1.0
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2020 18:07:36 +0000

On 14/02/2020 18:03, Andreas Enge wrote:

> We have invited all GNU maintainers to send a message until February 24,
> the end of the endorsement period, to endorse this version 1.0 of the
> GNU Social Contract, or to declare they do not wish to adhere to it.

You appear to be presenting that as a binary decision.

The way you write "do not wish to adhere to it", you appear to be
implying that people who don't explicitly and publicly endorse it are
therefore against it.

There are many people who may already be quite comfortable with some or
all of the social contract but they don't want to publicly endorse it in
its current form.

A situation where people have to choose one side or the other is
basically a split or a fork of the community.  If that is what you want,
please don't hide behind the social contract, why not just create a gnu
group with a gnu name and ask everybody who wants a social contract to
resign from GNU and join your group instead?

Maybe you could call your new group "GNU Europe", taking inspiration
from the business model of the "FSF Europe" domain squatters?

Personally, I'm not speaking for or against your social contract.  My
concern is with the process.

Regards,

Daniel