Re: LilyPond 1.3.103

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: LilyPond 1.3.103
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 13:52:18 +0100

address@hidden said:
> * Move some reference manual into the  SCM documentation system.

Great! Much of this information has been missing or outdated
in the manual. Some comments:

- Can this information be included in the manual (as an appendix?)?
  It's a pity if the information is only available in HTML.

- In order to use a property via the \push interface, I have to
  know the context, the engraver, the object, the property name
  and the set of allowed values. Now this information is spread
  out and if I've found a property in an object, the only way to
  find the engraver and context, is an extensive search (at least
  if I use the official documentation). In order to make this
  practically useful, we need links back from each object, telling
  which engraver it belongs to and in which context(s) it's
  included.

- Do I, as a user, ever have to bother about which specific
  interface a certain property belongs to?

- I find it confusing that we have different kind of properties
  that are handled different ways. "Engraver properties" are
  set with
  \property Context.property = value
  whereas the "object properties" are (preferably) set with
  \property Context.Object \push #'property = value
  What are the future plans? To keep both kinds of properties
  or move all of them to the latter form or ...?

     /Mats