Re: lily 1.3.112

From: Harti Brandt
Subject: Re: lily 1.3.112
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 18:05:58 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> address@hidden writes:
> >
> > In the same prelude there is a place where 1/2 rest, 1/4 rest and a C,
> > collide in the bass staff. Lily barfs about a rest collision and really
> > it prints the two rests on top of each other. Is there a way to shift them
> > around. (A collision between two notes and one rest it resolves by
> > shifting the rest up, later).
>

> The appropriate code is in rest-collision.cc; I don't think it will be
> hard to adapt the code for more rests, but I haven't got the time. Do
> you want to try?

Well, I think, I understand, what you do there and probably I would be
able to do something for a limited number of rests (let's say two :-). But
after two minutes of thinking about the problem I discovered, that it
isn't so easy to shift the rests intelligently. You should know, which of
the two voices to which they belong is 'higher', so the appropriate rest
can be shifted higher, than the other one, right? (There are a lot of
(resolvable) complications with this: one or both voices may just start
with the rest, or end with it, or the voices 'cross' at the rest). And, to
be honest, my understanding of lily's internals is not good enough to find
out this kind of things.

Hmmmm....

harti
--