Re: Converting Lilypond to ETF, Sibelius or Finale

From: Henrik Behrens
Subject: Re: Converting Lilypond to ETF, Sibelius or Finale
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 17:38:33 +0200 (MEST)

> [Henrik Behrens]
>
> > Good free software should interact with commercial software, as long
> > as the majority of users use commercial software, otherwise many people
> > will not use it.
>
> Does commercial software interact with good free software? :-)

No, but why must free software be as bad as commercial software?

> There is some give-and-take in any nice relationship.  Commercial software
> is take-only, and would it only be for this reason, I quite understand that
> many people may prefer not having a relationship with commercial software.

Yes, but you don't support them, if you support their file formats.
Instead, you make it easier for people to switch to free software.

> Most computer users play with M$ software, and by choosing to run Linux,
> I cut myself, somewhat, from the M$ world and people.  It is my choice,
> and despite the drawbacks, I prefer happiness! :-)

Me too, but I prefer to use Linux even when I'm forced to exchange
files in commercial formats (like MS Word files on Linux StarOffice).

SAMBA wound not have been as successful if it didn't cooperate
well with Windows, Solaris and other commercial operating systems!

Therefore, I vote for export filters in Lilypond!

Henrik