Re: Lilypond 1.4.1 and macros, lyrics

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Lilypond 1.4.1 and macros, lyrics
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 11:29:09 +0200

> "Jan Skola" <address@hidden> writes:
>

> > \context Staff \outputproperty #(make-type-checker 'dynamic-interface)
> > #'extra-offset = #'(0.0 . 2.0)
>
> > as you see I need move dynamic mark 2 unit higher, everything works fine,
> > but

Did you try \property Voice.DynamicText \set #'padding = #2.0
(you may want to replace DynamicText with DynamicLineSpanner
or Hairpin, depending on what kind of dynamic indication you're
refering to)?

> > My second question is why are syllables in lyrics overlapping, is it needed
> > to move every one overlaped syllable by hand?
>
> Syllables should never overlap, unless you ask for it.  It seems from
> looking at your .ps file, that the length of the words is not
> calculated correctly.  You're using characters with accents, that
> don't exist in TeX.  If I run your .ly file through LilyPond, nothing
> overlaps, but none of the accented characters 'e `a are printed.
>
> I think you should use:
>
>    \'e \`a
>
> etc, but I'm not really sure.

Yes, that should work., you may have to excape the backslash,
\\'e \\'a, I don't remember. An alternative is to add the ecrm fonts
to Lilypond, see
http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg05a514.html
and write the accentuated characters using the ISO8859-1 encoding,
like "éà".

One problem with this solution is that you have to set the font-name
property explicitly which means that you override the normal font
selection scheme. Instead, we should really mimic one more feature
of the LaTeX NFSS, namely the support for different font encodings,
where the default OT1 uses the 7bit fonts like cmr whereas T1 uses
8bit fonts like ecmr. I'll see if I can hack up something.

      /Mats