Re: PDF file problem

From: David Chan
Subject: Re: PDF file problem
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 11:39:25 +0100 (BST)

Chris Sawer wrote:

> A user of Mutopia has encountered the following problem when printing
> out some PDF files from the archive. I'm at a loss to explain the
> problem
[...]
>> When I print out music in a PFD file I get all the notes but not the
>> staff lines.  I am using Windows 98.  Any ideas why I am having this
>> problem and/or suggestions to correct it?

I don't know if this is relevant, but I've had problems with ps2pdf before
when printing maths small (underlines disappeared).  It was OK on a laser
printer, but didn't work on a HP Deskjet 720C.  I wonder if the following
is the cause (from the ps2pdf.txt file which comes with ghostscript)?

> Limitations
> ===========
>
> The most serious limitation of ps2pdf is that text in any font other
> than the 14 Adobe base fonts (Courier, Times, and Helvetica families,
> Symbol, and Zapf Dingbats) is converted to bitmaps.  ps2pdf also usually
> converts strings to bitmaps if the string is in one of the 14 base fonts
> but it contains a character that uses a non-standard encoding.

If this is the problem, then using gsview instead would fix it.  But it
may well be a different problem.

Regards,
--
David