Re: PDF file problem

From: Chris Sawer
Subject: Re: PDF file problem
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:56:23 BST

David Chan wrote:
> I don't know if this is relevant, but I've had problems with ps2pdf before
> when printing maths small (underlines disappeared).  It was OK on a laser
> printer, but didn't work on a HP Deskjet 720C.

It could be something to do with the printer - the HP 720 and 712 (which the
guy who had the problem was using) were both from the short lived HP PPA line
(basically Windows only printers).

Anyway, I've had an e-mail from the guy saying that he's managed to sort out
the problem by downloading other versions of the files from the website
(maybe an A4/letter issue?) so we don't need to worry too much any more.
Thanks to those who replied.

Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> - Use a fresh version of Ghostscript. The 5.50 version that
>   Chris uses today is outdated.
>
> - Run dvips with the flag -Ppdf. Then, at least the titling and
>   copyright text will be typeset using vector fonts which looks
>   much better on screen (shouldn't matter when you print with
>   ordinary printers).

OK. I've upgraded to Ghostscript 7.0, and using the -Ppdf flag we do
indeed get titling, copyright text and lyrics typeset as vectors. The
most recent two additions to the archive have been processed using GS
7.0, if anyone wants to try them.

Chris

--

Chris Sawer   -   address@hidden   -   Mutopia Maintainer