FW: Type1 fonts

From: Jeff Henrikson
Subject: FW: Type1 fonts
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 12:41:21 -0400

FYI: the free program "pfaedit" has a type 3 parser.  I haven't tried plugging
Feta into it.

> The problem is
> rather difficult, btw.

The general problem is, of course, but have you bothered to read the feta type
3 code?  There's nothing sophisticated in it and I'm
sure an experienced postscript hacker could cook up (at most) a simple
recursive decent parser to do it, maybe with a little duct
tape.

Any such conversions will still be primitive compared to a "real" type 1 font
for screen output because of lack of hinting.  Once
there was an outline conversion, hints could be added by an expert by hand, but
that works against the "everything should have
source code" mentality.  IMHO not a huge deal.  And hints would be a definite
improvement for a few symbols (accidentals come
immediatly to mind.)

BTW- I was wondering the other day how much nonlinear scaling behavior there is
in feta.  (Ie, the thing that Computer Modern does
a lot but TrueType, Type 1, fonts can't.)  I don't know enough metafont to see
for myself.

Jeff Henrikson