FW: Type1 fonts

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: FW: Type1 fonts
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 23:01:39 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> > The problem is
> > rather difficult, btw.
>
> The general problem is, of course, but have you bothered to read the
> feta type 3 code?  There's nothing sophisticated in it and I'm sure
> an experienced postscript hacker could cook up (at most) a simple
> recursive decent parser to do it, maybe with a little duct tape.

Have you actually read the MetaFog paper by Richard Kinch? Parsing the
file is not the problem. The problem is determining the outline of a
stroked, self-overlapping drawing. That involves some nasty
mathematics. And the feta font definitely uses penstrokes and overlaps.

> BTW- I was wondering the other day how much nonlinear scaling
> behavior there is in feta.  (Ie, the thing that Computer Modern does
> a lot but TrueType, Type 1, fonts can't.)  I don't know enough
> metafont to see for myself.

there is not much, but I'd like to expand in that direction: we have a
blot-diameter, that should cause the smaller glyphs to be a little
chubbier. It is not used by many glyphs, though.