gnu3dkit-dev

Re: [Gnu3dkit-dev] White Paper and API reference

From: Philippe C . D . Robert
Subject: Re: [Gnu3dkit-dev] White Paper and API reference
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 10:27:55 +0200

On Freitag, Oktober 11, 2002, at 11:18  Uhr, Matt Brandt wrote:
On Friday, October 11, 2002, at 09:44 AM, Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:

Hi,

the point here is that the API reference has to be *generated*. Otherwise one cannot keep it in sync, that's reality. So the way it works is that API documentation is added to the header file, which is then parsed by ie. HeaderDoc or AutoDoc to generate the reference. I don't think the output quality is thereby worse than with Word - you can generate TeX, HTML or whatever

While having "generated" documentation is nice in theory, I've never seen a generator that didn't require significant reformatting of the output to get something I would want to read. I'll be happy to check out a few of these though, and see if one of them is adequate for our purposes. The point really is to end up with accurate and usable documentation, not to produce non-functional art, so it is probably worth investigating.

Well, autodoc was/is pretty cool and the output was very profession looking. You could create TeX, HTML or TXT as far as I remember. Given that you can easily produce PDF form TeX, this really could be an option.

But I encourage you to have a look at the available options so that we use the Right Thing from start!

As for TexShop, I downloaded it and tried it out. I wasn't familiar with Tex before. Wow, real geekware. I used to use troff back in the dim times but I didn't think anyone still used this kind of thing :-) I don't mind exerting the effort (and a few bucks to get a book) to learn how to use it effectively, but I think we may be limiting ourselves in terms of quickly bringing anyone new into the documentation project in the future if we use this kind of tool.

I dunno ... TeX is pretty standard, at least in academic circles...:-)

But to summarise I would say:

- we need some generated API doc/ref
- we need a users' guide/programmers' guide which is based on the above
- we need a white paper describing the 3DKit, its goals, limitations etc.

The best would be to use a system which lets you create different output from the same source, ie. TeX, HTML or ASCII.

I will not consider using Frame nor Word because they are proprietary, incl. their format. Not anyone has Word or Frame, but anyone should be able to contribute!

Point taken. I would like to make it easy for anyone to edit our stuff too. How about if we make the standard documentation format HTML and not worry about how it is produced? That way the wysiwyg crowd can use any number of editors and still produce files that can be edited by nearly anything. It also gives us a shortcut to an online manual.

Then I'd prefer plain ASCII (or XML?) because content matters - and it can easily be turned into TeX, HTML or whatever else later on...:-)

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert
http://www.nice.ch/~phip