gnu3dkit-dev

[Gnu3dkit-dev] Goal: Import and Export asset files from and to external

From: Brent Gulanowski
Subject: [Gnu3dkit-dev] Goal: Import and Export asset files from and to external formats.
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 19:55:24 -0400

Note: "Asset files" are scenes (composed of simpler assets), objects (vertex lists and mathematical descriptions) and textures.

General Strategy: Provide an Abstract Asset Interface and Specific Asset Representations
Sub-goals:
- Distinguish between kinds of representations, and associate each with a semantic context. This means identifying if it is used as a file format or as a rendering format, and whether it contains a structure and what kind, such as: leaf parentage (single/multiple); object groups or polygon groups; use of visibility hierarchy (BSP, quadtree, octree). - Distinguish between scenes and component assets: scenes are organized collections of artistic assets (vertex sets, mathematical object descriptions, and textures)
- Encapsulate the methods for converting between representations
- Identify a preferred or native file format for 3DKit
- Produce a class cluster interface for asset representations
- Restrict the representations which are used by the renderer
- Optimize the renderer for presentation of one preferred representation for each asset category: texture, vertex group, mathematical description (for tessellation, if we want to do that), scene (our internal scene rep), and visibility information (again, if we want to provide that facility -- I research this area regularly)
Caveats:
- Switching between representations during rendering is Very Bad
- Too many representations means a lot of overhead
- We may need an intermediary human-readable file format like XML for some/all supported representations - May have to require that users of 3DKit provide their own conversion plug-in code (means we need a plug-in architecture)

--
Brent Gulanowski                                address@hidden

Pluto Neptune Uranus Saturn Jupiter Mars Earth Venus Mercury Sun
  .      o      o      o      O      .     .     .      .    /\
                             You are here _|