gnu3dkit-dev

[Gnu3dkit-dev] Goal: No imposed limit on the number of objects in a scen

From: Brent Gulanowski
Subject: [Gnu3dkit-dev] Goal: No imposed limit on the number of objects in a scene
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 19:55:22 -0400

General Strategy: Partition the scene into sub-scenes and load only those which are potentially visible.
Sub-goals:
- Asset Management: re-use assets (textures and meshes) as much as possible; identify explicit sub-scenes where they are used (and thereby, which sub-scenes where they are *not* used). Identify re-use of assets.
- Paging: load only potentially visible portions of the scene
- Potentially Visible Sets and "Super-sets": we can know what is visible from a single point, but can we know what is visible from points within X units of that point? The size of X is dependent on the speed of the viewer's movement, and the scene complexity. - Detail Suppression: Partition a scene based on detail level. Leaving out details can reduce scene complexity. The question: "When can you get away with less detail?" The tentative answer: "When the user is moving too fast or is busy with other things." These are often the same, and are determined by how quickly the camera is tracking/rotating.

--
Brent Gulanowski                                address@hidden

Ce n'est pas une signature.     -Magritte