gnu3dkit-dev

[Gnu3dkit-dev] Goal: A modern, full-featured renderer

From: Brent Gulanowski
Subject: [Gnu3dkit-dev] Goal: A modern, full-featured renderer
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 19:55:27 -0400

General Strategy: Support for the maximum possible number of rendering features. Sub-goals (aka features): (I'm listing almost everything I've ever heard of -- please add/subtracts elements accordingly)
- vertex array lists (no indexing)
- indexed vertex arrays (polygons or edges specified as vertex indices)
- indexed edge arrays (polygons specified as edge indices)
- mathematical object descriptions
- curved surfaces -- implies tessellation into polygons before rasterization, and suggests curvature setting options
- variable colour depth texturing
- alpha-blended textures (how many modes?)
- mip-mapping
- non power-of-2 texturing
- multi-texturing
- DOT3 bump-mapping (hey, you never know!)
- anisomorphic texture filtering
- dynamic lighting
- light maps (a sub-feature of multi-texturing, perhaps?)
- shadows (probably stencil shadows?)
[ see: http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20021011/lengyel_01.htm for a new article on stencil shadows]
- render to texture
- dynamic mesh generation from height maps (primarily used for terrain, I've been wondering about other uses) - procedural mesh generation (the next step from dynamic, this adds *new* detail, the other just lets you remove it, see:
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20000228/ulrich_01.htm)

--
Brent Gulanowski                                address@hidden

"Of course the Universe hates you. You're working to reduce chaos by expending a lot of energy to do your job. Thus, you're contributing to the eventual heat death of the universe, and it's just protecting itself from you." -- John Batzel