gnu3dkit-dev

Re: [Gnu3dkit-dev] GSXView

From: Lyndon Tremblay
Subject: Re: [Gnu3dkit-dev] GSXView
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 13:58:32 -0600

On 2002-10-28 14:23:37 -0500 Frederic De Jaeger <address@hidden> wrote:

> BG> You may already know this, but I thought I would explicitly mention
> BG> that the NSOpenGLView (in Cocoa) is purely a convenience class. In a
> BG> way which probably is analogous to the approach you mention, one can
> BG> attach an NSOpenGLContext to any NSView. All that is necessary is to
> BG> inform the context whenever the NSView changes size (by means of
> BG> -update, if I remember correctly).
>
> In fact, it may be quite simple to attach a GL context to any view that
> is not rotated:  Just create a sub xwindow located exactly at the
> position of the given view in it enclosing NSWindow (and update it
> when the context receives the -update message)
> We don't  need the GSXView for that anymore...
>
> what is the semantic with respects to subviews, in this case ?
> Because in this implementation, no subviews will be visible anymore.
> Nor any overlapping view (because the drawing of such views will be
> clipped by the glx window.)
>
> Cheers,
>
>         Frédéric

If the subviews are inside of the NSOpenGLView (or NSView with
NSOpenGLContext), if these views are draws in some top-down order (parent to
children). I believe you can use regular Xlib commands on an OpenGL context.
The only thing is these subviews would need to have a new X context to draw to.

--Lyndon