[Gnue] Re: reports (clarification)

From: Carlos Perello Marin
Subject: [Gnue] Re: reports (clarification)
Date: 20 Sep 2000 21:14:37 -0100

> Hi all!
>
> Well, as I've done sometimes, I had a look this morning at the GNUe IRC
> logs, and I saw there some comments from Derek which convinced me to
> write this mail. As I think we're suffering from a big misunderstanding,
> here are some clarifications:

What's the problem?

> * I (rodrigo) am the ONLY maintainer of gnome-db/libgda. By this, I
> don't mean that I am a dictator and that everything is made after my
> thoughts, but that the final decision is mine. This means that even if
> you read a mail in gnome-db list saying that the report engine would be
> made in some way, this does not mean that gnome-db/libgda has decided
> so, but that a given person states a given opinion. Of course, if
> somebody wants to be the gnome-db maintainer, just say it, and we'll
> talk about it.
> * and, I thought we had agreed the other day about the general report
> structure, so here is what I understood, please correct me if it's a
> mistake:
> - no one is working on the DTD, this has been abandoned (for the moment,
> since it's not a bad idea to have a DTD AS SOON AS the XML report format
> is finished, but not before of course).

I don't understand this. I thought that we need a DTD to part on!!.

> - current work is on making a basic IDL to start writing the report
> engine. As soon as we agree on this, the report engine and the clients
> can start. As you may have noticed, I started very simply to add other
> things as soon as we code and need them.

This point is correct from my point of view.

> - there will be a XML format to describe a report, that is, not the
> output, but the structure. This format, I guess, could be the one
> produced in the current gda-report.dtd file, since I think it's been
> discussed deeply, although I confess I haven't participated too much on
> that thread, so maybe a new revision by everybody can be made.

> - this XML format will be processed by the report engine (not the
> client), which will get the data either from GDA (default one) or from
> another source (by means of plugins maybe) to produce a XML output
> format, where the data is actually formatted in another special XML
> format. As we said, gda-report will be made libgda-independent, so that
> anybody could add a different way of accessing its data by just writing
> a plugin. This will be the case for GNUe, isn't it?
> - then, clients will ask the report engine for this XML output, or for a
> given format, such as PDF, PS, HTML, etc This conversion, as Derek
> suggested, could be made though a customized jade

This point is also correct, but i suggest that we could add (as i show
in the IDL skeleton that i have send before) a CORBA Object that will be
processed an filled at the server part but queried at the client part to
construct an special viewer (no to convert into PS, PDF, etc). I have in
mind that we could use it also as the objects to create, with a report
designer, a new report at the report server.

> - the report engine will have a sort of cache to return repetitive
> reports, etc
> - apart from this, but outside of the report engine, will be report
> clients and designers, which, of course, won't be started seriously
> until an IDL is approved. This part is, I think, the one Carlos is
> talking about.

Yes, i'm talking about this.

> I have not entered technical discussions about each point since this
> will go the next set of mails. But one thing I'm sure about is that GNUe
> and GNOME-DB/libgda should work together on this, it would be a pity to
> have a separation, so please just say what you don't agree and we'll
> discuss it. But really, I thought we had agreed on all this.

Me too.

> cheers

Bye