[Gnue] Re: report IDL

From: Carlos Perello Marin
Subject: [Gnue] Re: report IDL
Date: 20 Sep 2000 20:01:33 -0100

> Hi!
>
> Well, here's is the first proposal for the report IDL. Please add your
> comments, additions, etc.
>
> module GDA {
>
>       struct Param {
>                   string name;
>      any value;
>       };
>       typedef sequence<Param> ParamList;
>
> enum Converter {
>      CONVERTER_TO_PDF,
>      CONVERTER_TO_PS,
> };
>
>       interface Report {
>                   string run (in ParamList params); // returns the XML
>               output, in case clients want to play
>      any convert (in Converter format); // returns the contents of the
> file?

well the "convert" must return a stream with the result file or perhaps
a socket?

>      /* here, add functions for accessing report's internal format */
>       };
>       typedef sequence<Report> ReportList;
>
>       interface ReportEngine {
>                   ReportList getAvailableReports ();
>                   Report openReport (in string rep_name);
>      Report addReport (in string rep_name, in string xml_report);
>      void removeReport (in string rep_name);
>       };
>
> };
>
> The idea I have is that the report engine has all the reports stored in
> a location known only to him, and clients access them through the
> report's name, although they can add new reports to the system (through
> addReport).

The only thing i don't see is the addReport, How we must take it the xml
file? (well this xml will be builded at the server part, but if you want
to move one xml file from a server to other server....)

> Then, as Carlos suggested, we should add another interface
> (ReportBuilder?) which lets clients access to the report internal
> format, so that a report designer can be coded without knowing about the
> internals.
>
> It is incomplete of course, but I think it's a starting point. So,
> please comments?

Well this weekend i will study it more closely, but it's right for me
(except the XML question).